Saturday, November 28, 2009

Gemma Taccogna








Gemma Taccongna was a Papier Mache artist beginning in the 1960s. She began her career in Mexico revolutionizing the papier mache technique! She was the first to start the papier mache dolly head that is now extremely hard to find, and collected by Nina Ricci, Queen Elizabeth and so many more notables.
I was ecstatic to find a 1966 McCalls Needlework & Crafts magazine at the Goodwill Outlet yesterday! I was even more ecstatic to see that there is a tutorial on how to make papier-mâché dolly heads instructed by Gemma herself!! Another collector of her work is Anna Sui. Anna Sui began making her dolls in the late 60s, I wonder if she learned her formula from this very magazine?? I cannot wait to begin making a collection of them just like hers!!! I drool every time I walk into her NYC store, every square inch is full of the most amazing dolly heads!!! I want them all!!

No comments: